Sunday, June 06, 2010

Confessions of an Indian Bride


I woke up uncomfortably from the disturbed bed looking at the person lying beside me. I hated the sight of his peaceful sleep especially when I am so terribly disturbed. And more than anything else, I hated myself for hating him for no reason. To my defense, I had never slept with a man before and here, I was sharing the bed with almost a stranger. Of course, he is my husband but the fact is that I saw his full human shape only 2 days back. And trust me when I say he looked quite different in those photoshop-enhanced photographs and the blurry breaking images (streamed through web cam) that were showed to me earlier. But it was too late anyway. Now, the only thing I know about him is that he works in a picturesque foreign land, earns a handsome salary(more handsome than his whole personality put together) and that he is going to take me with him to this never-land in a week.

Looking back at the past, I have never been a decision-maker, forget about being a good decision maker. I think it all began when I was 7 years old. I was a big fan of Madhuri Dixit and wanted to dance like her. But my father took me to singing classes instead. I told him that I wanted to dance but he decided that I was not good at dancing and that it was not for good girls. Though a part of me still debate if dancing is for good girls or not, I am pretty sure that I would not have made a good dancer. But the point is that I wasn't good at singing either and I dropped out of the classes within a year. Probably, it was the last time when I told him what I wanted. Since then, my parents have decided almost everything for me, my friends, my college, my stream (I took up Science while I loved Arts), the kind of clothes I wear and even the color of my lipstick when they allowed me to wear. As you see, I didn't have to make any decision all my life. Well, that is until Hemant proposed me.

Hemant was like a whiff of fresh air in my otherwise dull and bored life. In fact, I feel he was the only reason why I had a good time in the college. He was the only friend I chose, and not as if I had other choices. Our friendship was like it was bound to happen. We had an instant mutual liking for each other. He was smart, dashing, humorous and almost everything that I wanted in a man. But I thought I knew my parents won't accept him as he was my class-mate and of the same age. Moreover, even I wanted to spend my life with a well-settled matured man. Now I won't blame him that he felt hurt and shocked on my rejection and he never talked to me ever since. Last heard, he was a well settled professional in UK and still single. Yeah, I cant't help myself from checking out his profile on Facebook and I do that quite often. And you know what, he looks quite matured of late.

I got my second chance to make a decision when my parents asked me if I had someone in mind for my marriage before they look for one. Yes, they asked me and I never thought they would. But I had no choices. So, my parents went online shopping to a matrimonial site, picked five guys who looked "well settled and matured" and they left the decision on me to pick one. I picked up the same guy who I am sharing the bed with right now.

I know these thoughts will eventually subside with time. As they say, Time is a great healer. And in any case, if it hurts more, I can always direct the blame back on my parents for not training me to take a decision. But I know very well and deep within that the choice was solely mine. I chose a path of convenience rather than owning responsibility for my own life. But what if I had? I know I will never find an answer to this question but I have to live with it forever.

2 comments:

sumita said...

wonderful.
SOUNDS SO REAL...
keep writing.keep writing.keep writing...
WAITING FOR THE NEXT ONE.

Unknown said...

thats really impressive.... nd sounds real!!!! which usually happens with most of the indian girls.Nice one!!!